Nail blogger Christina Rinaldi made a custom design for The Sephora Glossy using shades from her just-launched collaboration with The New Black.
“Always start each manicure with a clean, smooth nail surface coated with a clear base coat to protect the nail,” says Rinaldi, a New York-based artist whose awesome designs can be seen at here. The ikat look she created here is surprisingly easy—she calls it “a great manicure for the impatient nail artist”—and a secret use for one of our Sephora Pro brushes! (Of course, you’ll need to keep one varnish-free for your eyes too.) Here’s the how-to:
- Step 1: Apply your first color over the entire nail.
- Step 2: Using a liner brush and a second shade (coral, here), start at the base of the nail and draw a line upwards to the center.
- Step 3: Continue to draw smaller lines to the left and right of the tall line, always starting from the base and dragging upward.
- Step 4: Before that coat dries, apply a thin coat of clear to enhance the ikat pattern.
- Step 5: Using your liner brush and your original nail color, repeat a smaller version of Step 2 at the base of your nail.
- Finish: Again, you don't have to wait for this one to dry before you apply your topcoat—the streaks will help create a more pronounced ikat effect.
We used: The Gold (base) and Coral (accent) shades from The New Black x Christina Rinaldi Noble Spirits Collection and Sephora Pro Bent Liner Brush #23.